Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Meet Octavio - or how to take a design further

or how to take a design further.

Tulip Tassel and Mermaid Tail
When I showed my "Fishtail" cord ends in a group on Facebook, a lovely friend, Susannah Thomson, asked "Mermaid Tail?"... Oh my! that was the name it had to have! So now, the set of beaded beads is called Mermaid Tail. You can make wonderful cord ends, perfect for purses or bags. They complement pendants beautifully (I like them dangling on my back), and can also become earrings, or beaded beads (spacers).
Little Mermaid

Of course, I had to make a Little Mermaid using a bigger beaded bead for the body, and slightly smaller ones for the tail. I used a sweet little "Leilani" doll head that I got from the lovely Siân Nolan from the UK.

The Mermaid Tail instructions do not include how to make the Little Mermaid doll. The tutorial is only for the Mermaid Tail. However, you certainly may try to make your own version, so here are a few hints and tips - play to see where you can take it. This is valid for Octavio too.

Side view of the body and tail
As you can see from the picture left, the forms interlock well (the number of rows, together with information about the bigger bead, is mentioned in the tutorial,). The torso is beaded around 2 mother of pearl round beads added on the inside, between the top points. I used 15/0 and 11/0 to cover them. Then the tail was added, then the head and then the arms. The arms are made of two tiny petals (3/5 and 5/5 - as explained in my "From Petal to Pod" tutorial).
The bottom is left open to put her on a stick for display.
She lives among my plants together with a fairy and her new friend, Octavio.

Three Wing Scarf Ring
'Enhanced' Parrot Earrings
Original Parrot Earrings

I made a beautiful "Three Wing Scarf Ring", one of the upcoming projects with "Waves" start, in yummilicious fruit colors, to match one of my favorites scarves, and of course had to have assorted earrings. The pair on the right is a pair of Parrot earrings, with 3mm Firepolished beads added. Less rows are beaded, because these pretties tend to curl a lot more than made only with seed beads, but are the same length.


After I finished the tut for the Tulip Tassel - a pretty bell-shaped flower that is really lovely as home decor or pendant -, I had to make Octavio. Because even before I finished the first flower, the shape said "Octopus" to me. Yes, really. Like "I am an octopus. Make my arms too!" I promised that I'd make his 8 arms.

Octavio the octopus
Each time I took a break from tutifying, I beaded. And after 8 endless arms, which took at least 8 hours per, and a lot of fiddling to find the best thread path, I am very proud to present you Octavio the Octopus.
Octavio the Octopus

 His body is a nearly finished Tulip and his beak two Chili beads.



After a bit of testing what the best thread path would be, I added the arms to the tulip in one go.



Thank you for reading me

          and

Happy, happy beading!

10 comments:

  1. You have skills :) Thank you for helping us all understand. This article is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Est-ce que vous allez faire(et vendre )un tutoriel plus dtaillé pour faire cette pieuvre ?...Elle est vraiment magnifique !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour et merci pour votre gentil commentaire! Non, je ne vais pas faire de tutorial plus détaillé pour faire cette pieuvre - je l'ai faite pour montrer comment il est possible de partir d'un modèle comme la tulipe cellini et d'en faire autre chose.

      Delete
  3. Dear Cath, this is a Master Class! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Octavio is so cool! Am I understanding correctly that his colors and chart are included in the tulip pattern? I'd love to give him a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Tulip Tassel includes a materials list and graphic how to make his head. The tentacles are similar (but longer than) my Octopus leg earrings which were pubished in the Beadworkers Guild Journal in July 2020 - I will soon release the pattern for these too. And when life allows, I will put everything together for Octavio. Some folks find out by themselves how to assemble these things though.

      Delete
  5. Hi Cath! I love your patterns and have searched high and low through your tutorials for the 3 ring scarf ring. Can you please help me locate it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! and thank you!
      There is no tutorial for that design yet. I am a tad busy with too many things. Having a blast, but hard to prioritize.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome!